Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Using Social Media and Web 2.0 for Higher Education

I'll be doing a dry run this Friday for a new training session I am working on for faculty at the University of Delaware. I'm trying to collect as many faculty practices around the use of social media, including free web 2.0 tools like social bookmarking, video streaming, etc., in the context of course support, in-class, hybrid, or pure distance.

I have already found some examples, but it seems like I have a hard time finding higher education ones (or at least education ones in general). So here's my current list:
I will modify this post to add relevant examples, but basically, I think social media and web 2.0 resources can be used in multiple ways to enhance student learning. Different tools will serve different purposes, like collecting, commenting, discussing, doing mashups and remixes, immersing, creating, archiving, etc.

Please share any good examples I should consider for my workshop as comments below, and I will share them back in this post. Make me proud of my personal learning network so I can brag about how you guys rock! ;-)

UPDATE: I have created a tag in Diigo/Delicious to keep track of these examples and the new ones I will find: http://delicious.com/mathplourde/SMPracticesTraining

I also recorded the video of a brainstorming session about the content of the final workshop and used Wallwisher to move stuff around.

4 comments:

Cindy Jennings said...

Hi Mathieu!
Great project! Best of luck! Will be watching for the final collection. Here is my suggestion to add to your listing from ELI 2010 Archive: Twitter Symbiosis-A Librarian, a Hashtag, and a First-Year Seminar
http://net.educause.edu/ELI10/Program/1022371?PRODUCT_CODE=ELI10/SESS42
Cheers!

Pat said...

I did a blog post that includes some of these ideas (http://blogs.oet.udel.edu/sine/content/cutting-edge-classrooms)

My hero for using blogs in the classroom is Darren Kuropatwa.

Kemp Edmonds said...

Don't forget about Michael Wesch (Check Youtube for some videos) He also uses netvibes quite well in his digital ethnography class at Kansas State University

http://netvibes.com/wesch

Mathieu Plourde said...

Thanks for your comments, all good stuff.

Mathieu

Disclaimer and Copyright

The ideas and opinions expressed on this blog are mine, and do not necessarely reflect my employer's point of view.


Creative Commons License
This work by Mathieu Plourde is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.